Monday, July 30, 2007

fun facts III

So I am in Mombasa and I am loving it. i realized that I have seen three oceans within the last year and i am not sure which one I like the most. So right now i am completely enjoying the Indian ocean... i have only been here for a day and half but it has already been an adventure and has allowed me to formulate enough for another fun facts blog. So here is the third addition comin' at ya...

1. I am not sure if Bob Marley is dead or not but if he isn't i know where he should retire. Mombasa fo sho. Rafiki has a very strong following here in the Momby (short for Mombasa). There are so many Bob Marley look alikes i am not sure who I should get an autograph from. So I guess I won't...

2. It turns out eating your lunch outside in Mombasa can be dangerous to your health. It may not seems like it at first. You may be sitting there quietly enjoying the ocean breeze and when you look up there may be a pack of wild baboons hurling towards you. Then you may find that your nice quite lunch may be quickly interrupted by screams coming from your own mouth as you hurriedly grab your food and run inside. You may then realize you are from Michigan and people may want to see this phenomena so you grab your camera and open the door to snap a picture. You may then realize that one baboon is very close so you slam your door shut. However, you smile to yourself because you are alive, you have a picture, and you just experienced something new. Crazy baboons.

3. If you are staying somewhere for $9 a night feel free to ask what the accommodations are like. Really, don't feel shy, just ask! You would hate to show up in a strange country in the middle of the night to a banda (shack thing) where the ceiling doesn't meet the walls, there is gecko poop all over your nicely made bed and pillow, the toilet is located outside, and you are living with a 12 legged flying bug type creature. I promise you would just hate that. However, if it does happen, feel free to make friends with people from Illinois who work for InterVarsity. They may just let you sleep on their couch. I like people from Illinois.

4. Sometimes you maybe lying on a white (I mean white) sandy beach minding your own business and you will find a camel who was once eating behind you quietly who decided he wanted some sun too. Unfortunately the camel probably has no concept of personal space. I would suggest you move your towel before he stretches out. But then again that's just a suggestion.

5. I have found the origin of the term "hakuna matata". It is the theme here Mombasa, not just Lion King.

Ok, there has been other crazy things that has happened here and I am looking forward to more but my time at the cafe is adding up so I must go! Hakuna matata!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Katie, I do love your blogs, you have a natural talent for story telling. The children are adorable, I am counting 12 (12 disciples), how appropriate, did any of them know/come to know the Lord!

Have a wonderdful touring!

Anonymous said...

I know I've said this before, but I must say it again for empasis-- I LOVE FUN FACTS! They are so very funny...

My favorite recent fact is about the baboon attack. Oh man, the camel situation is pretty funny as well. It's pretty hard to choose. Sunbathing with a camel who doesn't have appropriate personal space boundaires. I sort of feel like it would be a good Far Side comic. Perhaps we should start a whole new branch of social work, teaching social skills to animals. We could use the group format, maybe get the baboons in on the action. I'd say we're clearly the brave, animal-loving girls for the job, wouldn't you, friend?! If I can set up my desk and laptop on that sandy white beach you were talking about, I am in! :-)

Hakuna Matata Out,
Jess

Nate Youngblood said...

Hmmm,
I ate camel once. It was a bit on the tough side. Seems like you could have used it as a pillow or something.

Camels on a beach, while you're sunbathing....That's just funny!

Of all the oceans, the Indian is my favorite, even if it is a bit too warm, and lacking a good surf to play in. I agree, crazy baboons are special, in so many different ways. Ahh, the coast of Africa...jealousy once again raises it's ugly head!

Gina said...

I remember when we were in Albania and we went to the Adriactic sea, there were tons of cows walking up and down the beach. Camels would be interesting as well.
Now are you sharing all these adventures with Quinn or are you on your own? Do you sort of feel like you're on vacation now? How fun!!!

kathryn said...

So I didn't mean Rafiki, that is friend in Swahili... I meant Rastifari (sp?) which is the religion that people, as well as Bob Marley, follows. Just realized I wrote the wrong word! opps!

Also, yes Jess good idea! I think that the Indian ocean is my favorite because what other ocean can you sun bath with camels and see monkeys swinging from the trees?? It has been really cool and a nice way to wind down my two months...

Nate... have you eaten at the Carnivore? Is that where you had camel? I think Quinn and I are going to go there when we get back to Nairobi... we heard it was something we shouldn't miss.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I just watched a documentary on sharks ... STAY OUT OF THE OCEAN!
Much Love,
Mom