Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A little bit more about prayer...

There were two more passages that God has brought to my attention regarding prayer and God's desire for our life, even as it relates to suffering. I wanted to share them with you. One is in Jeremiah 29, which Susie did a devotional on two nights ago, and the other is in 1st Peter, which is what Vitalis preached about on Sunday.

Jeremiah 29 talks in the beginning about how the people of Israel have been carried into exile for 70 years. Which, I am sure, felt like a very long time to them. Plus many of them would never see the fulfillment of God's promise to rescue them from captivity because they would die before it was fulfilled. In spite of all this God wanted them to be content, to settle down there, and even to pray for their captors. The whole time waiting on the Lord and trusting in His promises, even while ignoring those who would try tell them otherwise. God then says to the people:

10 This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. [b] I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."


Furthermore in I Peter it talks about suffering:

chapter 4
12Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name... 19So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

chapter 5 goes on to say...
8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

10And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

I wanted to included these passages because the reality is being a Christian does not mean an easy life for me, at times I undergo various forms of "suffering". And even though I pray for deliverance I am not always experiencing physical relief right away, sometimes it may mean waiting 70 years. But in the midst of it I am not left alone, God is with me and He calls me to surrender it all to Him, through prayer, faith, and humility. And God promises to restore me and make me strong and that He holds for me a hope and future. Furthermore, He promises that His peace, that goes beyond all understanding, will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Sometimes when I am going through suffering, or when I see other people suffering, it is easy to forget who it is that promises me these things and just focus on the situation. I pray that God will help me keep my eyes, heart, and head focused on Him at all times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. God has been continually pressing on my heart that the goal of life is not just to be happy and avoid pain; but rather, to be in relationship with God and to really love. There is a lot of pain, coupled with an abundance of beauty, in the process of living out this truth.

I, too, pray that God will help me keep my eyes, heart, and head focused on Him at all times.

Thanks, Katie.

Gina said...

Inspired by you Katie, 1 Peter 5: 6-9 were some of the first verses I memorized. I love the encouragment that it gives me. In vs. 7 it tells us to cast all our anxieties on God because He cares for us. That is so comforting. Especially since there are a lot of things to feel anxious about in this world! love you Kate!

Anonymous said...

Know that you are not alone in this suffering, I had forgotten to tell you this I woke up in prayer for you last Saturday and I too was experiencing some struggles but God is so awesome in his ways that he never allows anything that is beyond what we can handle because he either provide us with a solution or he wants us to mature or perhaps to change for the better not only for ourself but even moreso for the benefit of others that we may encounter. blessings to you Katie. My heart goes out to you!