Monday, July 23, 2007

New Life Ministries

We visited another orphanage on Saturday. The difference between the two was astounding. The orphanage was started by a British couple. They have opened several in Nairobi and one here in Kisumu. The orphanage holds approx 30 kids from 0-3 and then has another wing for about 10 kids. That wing in particular is for children who were not adopted by the time they reached age three. They are typically less likely to be adopted because they are HIV positive. The wing for the older children also houses a couple that are considered the resident house parents and they run like a family. The children are each others brother or sister and they see the house parents as their mom and dad.

This place was located in a very nice part of Kisumu and was immaculate. The workers were wonderful and it was obvious that they loved the children. However, again it was hard for me to see this building as the babies' home, even though it was a beautiful facility and filled with people who love these children. The reality of it still breaks my heart. Thankful most of these babies will be adopted into families by the time they reach the age of three. As well, most of the adoptions are domestic, which means Kenyan families are adopting these children.

The buildings each have an on site couple who are directors and are also considered parents. In addition the orphanage has a social worker on staff. These individuals, as well as the other direct care staff are Kenyans. Furthermore, I was told that the Kenyan government wants to begin using these orphanages as a standard for the country. After seeing the difference between the two I think this is obviously a very good goal however it may be a very long time before they are there.

The babies were very cute, one in particular touched my heart. He had a very bad cold and was having difficulty crying because of it. I picked him up and just soothed him. I am not someone who cries easily but I definitely was on the verge. Holding him in my arms, hearing him whimper, and knowing that at that moment I was the closest thing he had to a mom was one of the saddest things I have experienced. If I would have taken any child home it would have been him.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Are all the babies from 0 - 3 HIV positive as well, or just the children in the other wing? It is said to visit any orphanage. I remember the one we went to in Paraguay. I just wanted to take every child back with me.

Anonymous said...

It must have been so hard to put that little baby down. I still remember the orphanage in Paraguay, too, Gina. It is impressed on my heart. I am reminded that God calls us to take care of orphans and widows. You challenge me to think about what that looks like in my life here. Thanks, Katie.

Unknown said...

My Dear Kate -

I have been devouring your Blog - and feel dreadful that I have not told you so, before!!

As well as loving you, I admire the life you are leading - showing everyone that God is faithful to those who have a vision, and carry it through to real life. I know that you have felt the pull of Africa since you were a child - and you have made your dream come true - now, as a woman of God!

Thank you for sharing Africa with us. You make it so REAL!!

I love you! - Mary

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, what a touching scean, every nation has its orphans; as blessed as we are in the US we have our form of orphans though the parents are there, many of the children are so neglected and abused be it poverty, drugs, physical or emotional abuse; at times I would have yanked them out of their own homes if I could have.
See you soon!

kathryn said...

You know, Gina, I don't think they all did. Most of them lost their parents due to AIDS but not all of them contracted it. So the ones that have it are often less likely to be adopted.

Jessica... that was my exact thought as well.

and Mary... I am really glad you posted and that you have been enjoying the blog! It is really a blessing to stay in contact with people this well. Please with my poor memory it helps me remember it all :).

See you all very soon!