Saturday, July 07, 2007

Hippos and Tilapia

Today has been a good day. We woke up early after a torrential down pour in the evening to a pretty cloudy day. At first we were a little disappointed because we had planned on going to this place in Kisumu called Kaboko Bay and sit by the pool. However, our plans ended up changing some and for the better. Instead of sitting by the pool when we got to the bay we decided to take this little canoe boat out for a tour of some hippos. Our canoe was really cool, painted in fun worn out colors and the paddles where shaped as leaves. I kinda felt like a hobbit on our way to Mordor to drop off a some pretty little ring. We were just missing Gollum. Poor little Gollum, we didn't mean to leave you behind.

Our guides, who were very un-gollum like, were Morris and William. They were very friendly and sweet. They didn't try to bite my finger off at all. Plus, they not only took us to see hippos, which were fun, but they also took us to this little fishing village where we walked around. When I first got off the boat I was kind of nervous because I didn't think it was part of the tour and wondered where they were taking us. They started taking us through a small trail back into the island. We came out into this little fishing village. It was really neat and was a very fun experience.

On the way we picked up another tour guide named Thomas. Thomas was pretty nice too, however I think he was looking for a Mazungo wife. He first asked for my number, I kindly turned him down and then later on he held Quinn's hand. He is lucky I wasn't just playing hard to get, I might have taken offense! While in the town we went down to the little fish market place, it was kind of empty because people were out fishing, but there were some fantastic old boats lying around. As well, one boat came in with a HUGE River Nile Perch. It seriously looked like a small whale. I had no idea fish could get that big. I actually think it would have tried to eat me if given the chance. However, it had more important things to worry about, like trying to breathe, poor little guy.

On the way out we stopped at this little restaurant and ordered fresh tilapia. It was the best fish I have ever eaten. We bought a medium sized one that they brought out head, tail and all. Quinn, Kristy, the three tour guides, and I sat down with Fanta and a fish. We dug in with our hands and they encouraged us to eat the eyeballs. I kindly refused but did try out the fin, it was pretty tasty...

In general we moved away from normal touristy things and experienced some genuine Kenyan life, and also met some pretty cool people. It was a great day.

(sorry, but I don't have any pictures to upload. They were all taken on Quinn's camera but when I get back home or to Nairobi I will try and put some up)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my Hobbit-ous friend! What a fun adventure!

It's weird to think that your Saturday is over when mine is just beginning. Instead of a tour of hippos, my Saturday will include a tour of Canadian geese at Kensington. Doesn't sound quite as cool...

Wow, Thomas sounds like a real Rico Suave type! I'm curious how he made the transition from requesting your number to holding Quinn's hand. Very bold, Thomas, very bold.

You didn't go for the fish eyeballs, eh? I hear that is where most of the protein is. Well, actually, I haven't really heard much about fish eyeballs, but it seems like something that would be true. Way to go to town on the fin, though, pretty impressive!

I love that you are experiencing real Kenyan life and that Quinn is better and able to hang out with you. Please tell her that Jennifer sends her greetings!:-)

Nate Youngblood said...

Nile Perch...freakishly large. Definitely one of those things that people don't understand until they see one. I still haven't figured out how they actually land those in a boat. Most of the fishermen I know fish out of boats that are half the size of the perch. Anyway, enjoy the hippos (they bite you know) and continue to look out for the Casanovas. I'm betting that only happens to you and Quinn another 5 million times, which means about 10 times a day. If they ask to be your "friend" be offended...it's not a complement.

Have fun, and be sure to try the flying ants.

Anonymous said...

I just googed "Nile Perch" to see what all the fuss was about. Wow. If I didn't have it on a good source that Nile Perch really exist, I would think it was a hoax. You guys wouldn't pull my leg on this..would you??..guys???

kathryn said...

I am not pulling your leg at all jess... it is just as nate described it, freakishly large. Honestly, we tried to get the guys who were carrying it on the stick to stop walking so we could take a picture with it, but they wouldn't because thing was so increadiably huge. I actually think it may have been the fish who swallowed Jonah. But that is just a guess...

Thomas was a 45 year old Rico Suave for sure...he actually was trying to get us to tip a little back too... the guy knows all the right moves. Plus his dad owns 8 fishing boats, pretty much Thomas was the stud of the village. I actually think I may have made a big mistake (me looking off in the distance and Cher singing in the background "If I could turn back time")...

Flying ants huh? Where do I find this new treat? I don't think I have seen them yet...

Gina said...

Wow Katie! What an adventure you had!! Definitely get those pics from Quinn, who I'm so glad is feeling better. That's awesome.

How close did you get to the hippos? They are very dangerous and territorial animals. You're lucky you didn't lose an apendage!

And being the stud of the village, I think you should have given Thomas a chance! I love you lots and love hearing from you!

therambler said...

i was at a barbeque the other day, where this croatian guy roasted carp over the fire. my friend garrett ate a fish eye. it was disgusting, but i have so much more respect for him now!