Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I heart small planes

Quinn and I flew to Nairobi today. That's the plane I flew in (don't worry Dad, I thought of you the whole time), it was pretty sweet under the circumstances. You see, things were getting pretty bad for Quinn in the hospital in Kisumu and they weren't giving her they help she needed. Therefore, her parents, through some of thier connections, arranged for her to be flown from Kisumu to Nairobi because the hospital and doctors here are much better and they allowed me to tag along. I have to say that after seeing her care in Kisumu vs. the care in Nairobi I am glad for her sake that we did. Though, it is sad to think about all the people in Kisumu and all over Kenya who don't have them same level of access to medical care.

Quinn is doing much better. I told her you all were praying for her and she says "thank you!" They are giving her plenty of medication so she shouldn't feel any more pain :). I will probably be driving back up to Kisumu by the end of the week and Quinn will follow when she is better. Hopefully that will be very soon!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Wow that plane is sweet! How long did it take you to fly from Kisumu to Nairobi? Much better than an 8 hour car ride I'm sure and an even better view! I'm so glad that Quinn is getting better care and isn't in pain any more. So now they just wait for it to pass and then she can be released? I'll pray it's quick. Who's driving you back to Kisumu? Do you get to take a matutu again!? love you lots:-)

Anonymous said...

Did you get to fly the plane at all? It seems straightforward enough in those little guys...

I'm with Gina, I hope you get to take a matutu again. Will you get a good pic of one for us? It seems like every matutu ride is its own little adventure! I have visions of you getting on the bus in Urbana...

I will continue to keep Quinn in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
We definately are keeping Quinn in our prayers. I've added her to the WF here at Grace so everyone can pray for a speedy passing of the stone and quick recovery. I've not had one myself, but from everyone I know who has they are miserable.
How will you get back to Kisumu? You're not driving yourself are you?
You're both in my prayers.
Love,
Mom.

kathryn said...

Hi guys, just quick update on Quinn. She is still not doing so hot and could use more prayers. Thankful we have a really qualified nurse on staff with SIM who has been a great advocate for her. I am confident that Quinn will be fine but is still having some troubles, so please continue to be praying for her...

p.s. I did ride a Matatu today... WOW! I almost took a picture inside the thing but I was afraid someone would get mad. I will brave it next time and take a picture.