Saturday, June 30, 2007

Living with the United Nations

Last night, in the house that I am staying in, we had some one from Kenya, Germany, Italy, Scotland, England, and the great state of Michigan (which is not actually a country but it turns out people from the states don't say their country when asked where they are from but rather their state, so I am just conforming to the masses people) all in the same house. Before we all disband I am going to take a picture of what I like to call the United Nations. There are many things that I have enjoyed since coming to Africa but one of the things that has blessed me the most is talking with other people from around the world who are following Jesus Christ with all their hearts. It has been beyond encouraging...

Instead of writing about the things I am doing I want to write about some of the things I have been reflecting on these past three weeks. It hasn't been anything spectacular and I definitely haven't had some huge revelation. Also, these past weeks have been anything but calm or easy. Instead, I have been feeling very stretched and very distant from the things that are typically comforting to me (i.e. home). At the beginning I was even feeling a pressure that I needed to experience something big or deep that I could bring back home to others. However, about a week and half into it something shifted. It wasn't a big shift but it was a good shift. It is a shift that has allowed me to experience His peace in a new way. It is as if I feel a steady current in my soul bringing me peace, comfort, and rest. A current that is guiding me forward. Also, the comfort He brings is a different kind of comfort than the comfort I find in the things from home. A comfort I know that comes straight from God's heart to mine. I just feel a deep reminder that it was God who directed my steps to Africa, not to accomplish my plans, but His. Therefore, I decided that instead of trying to anxiously look for what it is, I want to take it as it comes. If anything I feel like this is my summer away, my summer just with Jesus. I am looking forward to what that brings.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Let your gentleness be evident to all.
The Lord is near.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving
present your request before God.
And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:4-7

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like God is doing a beautiful thing in your heart, Katie. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I rejoice in the comfort that God is pouring into you.

Your girls missed you in Ohio. You would have been really proud of how they served, opening their hearts to God and each other.

Way to conform to Stateism! Did you make a point to show everyone where you live using your hand, while sporting your U of M sweatshirt? Make us proud, Kath, make us proud.

Much Love,
Jess

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Im missing you sooooooooo much! Ohio was great beyond any expectations, but it wasn't the same with you not being there. Im soo excited about how God is moving in you and it's very encouraging to me. I love you!
Love Always, Leeanne

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Amen, what a wonderful position to be in.
Much love,
Mom

Gina said...

That is very powerful Katie. Those are also some of my favorite verses and a great reminder to go to God in anything and everything. We did miss you this week in Ohio. I kept thinking of you as I was seeing cool wooden doors, or wierd naked statues, or gate posts. It definitely is a unique and beautiful campus! Love you lots!