Tuesday, June 12, 2007

So you think you can fly...

Well, I have made it to Africa. I arrived last night (which was really more like midday for you all) and slept like a baby. However, I have discovered three things during my nearly 20 hour adventure in air. They consist of three important lessons I would like to share with you all:

1. Be sure to check the carry-on requirements for luggage BEFORE you get to the airport. And yes the requirements are different for different airports. So in order to save yourself from trying to fit an oversize purse into an overstuffed backpack then be sure to heed this warning. And a BIG thank you to the lady behind me in line who successfully promoted the idea that Americans are ego-centric by saying "Well, in America we can have two bags!" I salute you!

2. If there is a lounge called "Quiet Area" just go in and check it out. It may not be a library after all but really a room full of lounge chairs put there for the sheer purpose of lying down and taking a nap... I heart "Quiet Areas"!

3. Always, and I repeat, ALWAYS bring an airfreshener with you while flying. I am now thoroughly convinced that some people get a sick pleasure from letting things fly in closed spaces. So before you go on an extended plane adventure be sure to bring something to take the edge off because you never know who is sitting next to you.

8 comments:

therambler said...

well, you gotta do something when all that pressure's buildin' up! haha! glad you made it safe and sound. can't wait to hear how the first few days go! prayin' for ya.

Unknown said...

Yeah besides the smell I bet the cabin pressure can change too! Glad to hear you made it safely. Will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I think that I might heart "Quiet Areas," too. Except for maybe when I want to be loud and laugh and stuff.

I think the air freshener sounds like a good idea, but a neutralizer might be even better. You know, so as to rid the air of the funk, rather than just mask it. There is nothing worse than a masked funk in my book.

Also, I am highly impressed with your ability to squeeze the contents of your purse into you backpack. Having seen and carried both the purse and the backpack, I am in awe. When you get back you may want to look into offering some sort of seminar on packing. You've got a gift, sister!

You are missed around here already, Katie! Be sure to tell Quinn I said "Hello!" I am praying for both of you!

Nate Youngblood said...

Ahh the joys of intercontinental travel. You're really not helping me reduce my jealousy.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
This is a test!
Am I techno-savvy?

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I posted something yesterday, but it didn't get through so I tried the test today.
All's well at home and Spencer and I had his first geography lesson about the time your flight was over the Sudan about 2 hours before getting to Nairobi.
I'm glad to hear you got there safely and had a good night's sleep.
We're keeping you in our prayers.
Love, Mom.

Gina said...

I cannot understand how you fit your purse into that backpack. You could hardly fit a pin in there (not that you would need to fit a pin in there). And the quiet area does sound very nice. Although I'm bummed I didn't get to hear of your impressions of Africa! Next Blog spot please! I miss you lots.

Also so glad you slept well on your first night. That was something I was praying for a lot for you. You need to be energized! Love you!

Lindsay said...

I am glad to hear that you made it to Africa safe and sound!! I can’t wait to hear about Africa and what you are doing. Work has been quiet without you here…almost like a “Quiet Area” however no lounge chairs or naps allowed, although we should totally talk to the staff development committee about something such as this. Be safe and have a wonderful time!

Thinking of you!!!