Thursday, June 14, 2007

Some Kenyan sights



Well, I wanted to share some pictures with you all! The above one is a group of the short-termers that are living in Nairobi and one girl on the end behind me is working in Ethiopia but came to Kenya to renew her visa. Most of the "short-termers" are staying for approx. a year. Like I mentioned before they are from all over. It has been great getting to know them. This picture was taken outside the Chinese restaurant...





This picture is the view from outside my window in the compound we are staying in. Because of the mild temperatures here in Nairobi things seem to be much greener. There also are some really cool plants I will need to take some pictures of as well.




Here is a picture of the sidewalk in Nairobi. This picture isn't too common for Nairobi. At least for the area we are in. You often see people in suits and such heading to and from work. It seems to be a much nicer area. But I think it is amazing that she can do that so I thought I would snap a shot.



Yep, that's me in a tub at a restaurant. There are only two possible reason this restaurant has a tub. Either people are really messy eaters here or the Chinese restaurant was converted from a house. I am going to go with really messy eaters. However, I gotta tell you, if there had been any soup in there I would of used it, no doubt...

Also, I had mentioned I would give you an update on some current events here in Nairobi. I am not sure if any of you have heard what is going on here but in case you have I wanted to write a little about it in order to appease any fears you may have. There is a group of people here that have been around for many, many years that are kind of like the Mafia. Recently, because of the upcoming election they have been acting up and have been causing some problems, mainly in the slums. The police have begun to retaliate in hopes to catch some of the members. However, in general things are pretty calm, especially for us, and we are taking the appropriate precautions in order to be extra careful. However, these precautions are mainly due to the fact that Nairobi is a major city and would need to be done anyways. I have been told that this is typical around election time and that I have nothing to worry about.

I would encourage you though to pray for the Kenyan people in Nairobi. At times, it is innocent people who get caught in the middle of it all. As well, pray that God will guide the election and intervene in order to restore normality and safety back to the area and people who are affected.

Finally, a big "THANK YOU" to those of you who wrote letters for me to read while I was here. I have been allotting myself one per day and am enjoying them all!!! Also, a gigantic thank you to Jessica because I think she may have been behind it all :). I gotta say I think i may have the best friends in the whole world!!!

Peace from Africa...

6 comments:

Nate Youngblood said...

Bathtub in a resturant...Be prepared, at some point you may find a resturant in a tub. I miss that place!

Gina said...

I think that you should dress up in a dress like that lady was wearing and carry your stuff around on your head. How cool is that. And I'm glad to hear the Chinese food went well. So you aren't seeing much wild life in Kenya huh? Maybe on the way to Kisumu! Love you!

therambler said...

actually, i was finding the bidet to be of more interest than the bathtub. we have those here in bosnia, but i must say, i've never tried one. let us know if you get a chance to try one, and tell us what you think of bidet using.

Anonymous said...

What I found myself being drawn to was the little green seahorse creature between the tub and the bidget. I wonder if there are many kids who beg their mom's to let them ride the bathroom seahorsie while the waiter brings the bill. I totally would have. Thanks for sending pics, it helps take the edge off of how much we miss you around here!

kathryn said...

Ok, next time I will be more prepared to try out the things I see. It is just that someone else was in the bathroom with me and I was afraid I might scare them a bit...

Joce, I have a challenage for you. Next time you see a bidet you have to use it... have too!

kathryn said...

oops I meant "to" not "too" ... and Nate thanks for the good advice :). If you see another picture of me in a tub eating then you will know why!