Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Matatu anyone?

Ok, I did it. I rode a Matatu. Not to bad, they actually stopped for me. Other people not so much. I actually wish I had a video camera, I think you all would of enjoyed the adventure. I don't think anyone else in the Matatu saw it as adventure though so unfortunately i had to enjoy it alone.

The house where I am staying has a GORGEOUS view!! At night the sky is beautiful. We are surround by mountains and the weather is perfect! It is pretty remote and I have used the outdoor squatty potty three times. I am praying that I don't have to go to the bathroom all that much... you see, there are big spiders here. I have gone to use it twice and opened the door to find a big eight-legged visitor. Obviously, I decided to hold it. I am sure many of you would understand.

The family I am staying with, the Odoyos, are wonderful. They have an amazing story and I am touched by their love. They are very caring people. There are also two other girls here right now who just graduated from highschool and have spent 6 months here, they have three weeks left. One is from England and the other Scottland, they are very sweet girls! The living situation is similar to what I imagined. The house is kind of like living in the dorm. There is no fridge, there is no stove, there is no washer machine, there is no microwave, there is no boxed food, and they have wild chickens running around. There is running water but you have to use it sparingly so that they do not run out. But you wouldn't hear anyone complain. They know this is where God has called them and they enjoy the blessing from it. When I first arrived I thought that I would experience more culture shock then what I did. But I really don't, not that I don't miss things, I do, but I can see the good things about this life. I can see how protected the children are as they run around outside, without the influence of TV and the Internet. I can see how the family supports each other, and I see how the community looks out for one another. Things are much more relaxed.

I also went to the school yesterday. It is only about 5 minutes from the home and also benefits from a magnificent view. The children are amazed to see white people and often hold back at first. Though by the end of the day, I had many kids hanging on me and calling for me to watch them do something amazing, like a back roll, or cartwheel. All very impressive! :) I hope to include pictures of them in the future...

I also visited a government hospital on Sunday. One of the people from the Odoyo's church came down with meningitis and pneumonia. They went to visit him and Quinn and I came along. In that short time, got a small view of pictures I have seen before. This man did not have AIDS but there where others in surrounding beds that were suffering. The facilities where they were treated are no where near standards in the states. Sadly, we found out the next day the man died and his wife and four small children where left behind. This is the reality for so many people here in Africa. However, know that this man, even today, is in the arms of his Father.

Finally, I have a prayer request. Quinn has come down with a kidney stone and had to be admitted to the hospital. Last night she was in a lot of pain and so we took her in. The hospital she is staying in is a private hospital and is very nice in comparison, though still not like in the US. Please be praying for Quinn because the pain is very intense. She is now on pain killers, however once she begins to pass it the pain will increase greatly. She is doing very well in spite of it all and I plan on keeping her company most of the time. Good thing I brought Phase 10 :)!

Ok, my time is adding up so I should wrap this up. I just wanted to give you a snippet of things that are happening here. I probably will only be able to write two times per week, though this week may be different due to spending time at the hospital. And I may not be able to upload pictures. I will try next time but it may not work with these connections.

I will write more soon! Love you all!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kath, please let Quinn know we are praying for her. I am so sad to hear that she is in so much pain. I am glad that you will be able to keep her company-- Phase 10 will surely make the time go bye.

Nate Youngblood said...

The view...one of my top five favorite things about Africa. Take heart with the spiders...and carry Doom. (if you don't know what that is, you'll find out soon enough, just check the shelves of a nearby shop) As for the Kidney stones, and reality of health care in Africa. I'll be praying that you know how to encourage and support Quinn, that the stones will pass with little or no pain. And that in the midst of the beauty, pain, joy, suffering and hope of the Africa people you will see the face of the Lord. May he draw closer and closer to you as you serve him.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! My name is Brittany, I am one of Quinn's friends. I love reading your blog :) Since Q can't get email right now I just wanted you to let her know that I am praying so so much for her (and you!) and so are others here. I've never really "blogged" so I hope this works! I am so glad she has you there!

(I love you Q!)

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I'm so sorry to hear Quinn is not well and has to be hospitalized. I will pray for a speedy passing of this stone and a quick return to good health. As well, I'll pass it on to staff here at work for prayer.
God bless you all as you seek to serve God there,
Love,
Mom

Gina said...

Hi katie. I'm so glad to hear you made it safely there. take lots of pictures of the views! we want to experience them too. I will definitely be praying for Quinn. that is not a fun experience. I had one that passed with little pain so I'll pray the same for her. I love you a lot.

kathryn said...

Nate, thanks for the advice about Doom...I will have to check it out! I have a good feeling that it will come in very handy :). Also, thanks to you and everyone for your kind words. I will definitely pass it on to Quinn...

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, the girls have been praying for you at night - thank you for giving us your stories and your needs for prayer! They would love to see a picture of kids there and hear a little about what their life is like in Africa!! It's great for them to get a view of "the other side" and learn that not EVERYONE has their own nintendo DS and a laptop - yet somehow they survive!!!! :)
Serving with you, the Boomstras!!

Anonymous said...

hi kates!
So sorry to hear about Quinn...I will definitely be praying, and I'm so glad that she has your sweet presence and humor to keep her spirits up!
I'm glad to hear that the culture shock hasn't been huge, it's amazing the things that we can live without and the different lifestyle that you can get used to and even appreciate.
About the squatty potty and the spiders...be careful dear!! Also look closely before squatting, and maybe sing and make lots of noise during the deed, it might keep the spiders from appearing mid-squat!
I tried to call you the other day, but it didn't go through, can you give me the number again? do you have to dial 011 and then the country code?
I love you friend, and me and Jessi and Gina and all the girls will be missing you TONS in Ohio!!!
~katie b.