Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My first impressions (for my dear friend Gina)

There is a lot going through my head already and I am not sure where to start. So I will talk some about generalities and some "physical" impressions.

First off, they like to take things slow around here. Which I enjoy. We are stationed at the compound in Nairobi until Saturday morning because there is a lot of orientation that they take us through. The orientations really only a half a day allowing for free time. I had in my mind that they would take us to Kisumu right away so I am pleasantly suprised that we have so much time here in Nairobi. There is a lot to see and a lot of people I would like to talk too before I leave for Kisumu.

The first full day here I never made it off the compound but I met a lot of nice people and we had a potluck with all the short-termers. We had a really nice time of praise and worship plus I contributed nothing to the potluck but was allowed to enjoy everything. It was pretty darn tasty! Another cool thing is that the team is made up of some really diverse people. There are people from New Zealand, Thailand, Canada (yes Gina, Canada), England, and other cool places. That in and of its self has been really cool. It is great hearing peoples stories and seeing how they arrived in Kenya.

Today, I was able to venture out and see some of the city. It actually reminds a lot of China though Nairobi is little more spacious and missing the hairless dogs. There is no such things as sidewalks here in Nairobi instead there are dirt paths that line the roads. As you walk down the road you will see different markets, vendors, and kiosks selling a variety of food and merchandise. I hope to try the roasted corn at some point, I only wish my corn loving friend Jessica could share it with me :).

The roads are filled with minivans called Matatus, taxi's and buses. The Matatus are part of the public transportation system and are filled to the brim with people. A lot of times they are blaring music. They barely stop to let people out or on so you have to be quick. Usually someone is at the door to pull the next rider on. I haven't rode on one yet, trying to work up my courage. You see, I am just a Midwest girl when it comes down to it. Plus, I am not sure if I have the appropriate leap down yet. Practice, practice, practice. That's my motto.

Tonight I am going to go try a Chinese restaurant here in Nairobi... wish me luck :)! I will let you guys know how it goes... Also stay tuned, I hope to give you some sort of update on some current events here in Nairobi... hopefully I will put some pictures up as well. And also thanks for the comments it is REALLY great to hear from you all. I miss you tons already!!!

p.s. my luggage is still missing, if you guys think about please pray that it comes in before I leave for Kisumu... I am starting to get a little ripe :). Also a BIG THANKS to my friends that encouraged me to take my clothes and some other essentials in my carry on... it would of stunk (literally) other wise!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey katie!
Africa sounds so cool. Sorry I didn't get to see you at church before you left. I'm praying for you and your luggage!
xoxo
Carly

Gina said...

Oh Katie thank you so much for your first impressions. I feel so honored that you did it for me. Although I'm sure you would have done it otherwise. I will definitely be praying for your luggage. But don't stress meanwhile, God is and will be providing for you either way! How is the camera working out? I hope it keeps up for you. And tell the Canadians "eh" for me! Love you!

therambler said...

i am also a lover of potlucks where i don't have to bring anything. you are speaking my language!

Anonymous said...

Did you say "Roasted Corn?!" Why that sounds delightful! Oh man, I knew I should have packed myself in your bag, I just knew it!

I love your description of the Matatus-- I can just picture it! That's what I call a party wagon! I think you'll be the hit of your Matatus when you decide take the leap!:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
I have a little jar of shampoo I can send to you. I'm sure it won't take more than about 4 weeks to reach you ... :)
Brian says, "Don't worry, dreads can be cut out ...
Dad says to just to go to the local version of "Holden's" and buy it.
Spencer is saying his version of 'hi'which sounds like bub,bub,bub to us.
Aaron says hi too.
Much Love,
Mom, Dad, Brian, Vanessa, Aaron & Spencer

Anonymous said...

Hey ktdid,
It's your oldest and favorite Bro here I just wanted to tell you how proud of you I am. I miss you so much more than if you weren't able to get over here because of your work schedule. If you try the public transit, remember always 1,2,3 then jump. Timing is everything. If you try Chinese remember Kitten tastes just like Chicken, I recomend the General Tou version. I love you, come home soon.

Gina said...

We prayed for you tonight at our group Katie, specifically that your body would be able to digest Kenyan Chineese food!

kathryn said...

Hey peeps! I seriously love reading your comments! Guess what... I can do African Chinese food. No problem! And Jessica, tell your parents that I haven't gotten the runs yet which means the water bottle works. So glad I packed that in my carry on!! And Joce, can you send me your blog account... I have it saved as a favorite at home so I can't access it here...

And to my family...hug each other for me! Especially Spencer and Aaron so they will stay small :)

Thank you guys so much for your support. I plan on posting another one tonight!