Saturday, June 16, 2007

Meet Maureen


Maureen has a amazing story and if I could recruit her to be a mentor I would. However, Maureen already is one. At the young age of 23 she is an inspiration to her whole clan. She lives about 20 minutes outside of Nairobi and comes into the city each day by a Matatu (scary minivan thingy). You see, Maureen is the first woman to step in side of a University from her clan. As well she is the first woman to learn English. She has dreams that shatter the current role woman are meant to play. Woman are often thought of as just property here and often they are not allowed to go to school, but work hard inside the home and marry very early, well before the age of 23, and often go through mutilating rituals before then. But Maureen's plans are different. She has plans that include a hope and a future. She wants to own her own business and one day start a school in her town for girls to attend. Maureen is an inspiration to me. It didn't take long to find out what drives Maureen and what gives her hope. It is her relationship with Jesus Christ. In Him alone she finds her hope and her strength. It was such an encouragement to talk with her. I can just imagine the young girls in her clan and tribe who when they see her and they see hope. Asante sana (thank you very much) Mareen for your courage and passion. What makes her story even cooler is that one day while working in the market before she started going to university she said a white man came up to her and asked her if she attended one. She said she did not. He asked her why and she explained that it cost too much. The man, without hesitation or any solicitation on her part, offered to pay for two years of university for her, and he did... Maureen never saw him again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Maureen's story, Kath. She sounds like a woman we could all learn a lot from. I can't wait to hear more about the people you meet.

I am very impressed by your Swahili verbiage as well-- those tapes really paid off! Have you used any of your made-up Swahili yet?

Gina said...

Wow, I can't believe that a stranger would just offer to pay for two years of her schooling. That is God! Tell her she has someone in Michigan thanking God for her!
And I knew those Swahilli words and didn't even really know it! Has anyone seen Lion King? The monkey, yes the monkey says it:-)

Gina said...

By the way, the Red Gecko looks like a pretty sweet place! Did you eat there Katie?

Anonymous said...

nope, I ate (actually I just had a smoothie) at the Java House... It is an american style restaurant with all outdoor sitting. You get to see a lot of different people there. It is pretty cool.

Nate Youngblood said...

Arrrgh! Next you're gonna start talking about the Nairobi Carnivore, various delicious Indian Restaurants...all of which are mouth watering good. I have no idea if you eat meat or not, so the carnivore might not be your favorite. By the way, make sure you eat sukuma wiki (spelling?) along with posho and beans...mmmm tasty!

Selesny said...

Hi Katie,

I am inspired by your story of Maureen. I am sure this just the beginning of many great encounters you will have in Africa.

Our Sabbath just ended, I have had you in my prayers.

Hope your luggage has reached you by now.

Stay cool,
Chaya

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I wish I could be over there with you! When you said "asante sani"...it brought back great memories! I'll be checking your blog consistently (and living vicariously through you). I highly suggest eating some fresh pineapple...and maybe buying some real sugarcane from a street kiosk! Glad you're safe!

Love,
Jen Dudik :)

Anonymous said...

What an exciting story about Maureen. God had big plans for her and that's exciting to see how he moves. God is so good. Stories like this help us all to keep our focus on him.
Thank you Katie for helping me see Africa through your eyes. You are an encouragement to me.
Much love,
Mom

Russ and Amy said...

Sounds like you are doing great! Thanks for the updates- it's encouraging to hear your stories and your FAITH!

We miss you. Man...you're far away. :(

Amy & Russ

Anonymous said...

It is so cool to be able to hear about these stories real time from thousands of miles away. Thanks, Katie, for sharing your adventure. Cam and I are both enjoying it vicariously through you. It doesn't really have the same effect, though, because we are sitting on a couch in our air conditioned living room eating potato chips. We weren't really eating potato chips until I wrote that we were so we went and got them. Sorry to waste you time with that story, I just like that story.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
It's really inspiring to hear your stories. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us!
-Cam

kathryn said...

Cam... I read your note yesterday, thank you! I was so glad you included a picture! I have you and the boys hanging on the wall!

miss you all!