Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"Tea-cha Kaa-dee"

The thing I have dreamed of when I was 6 years old (and only when I was six) has come true. I am a teacher. I get to write on the chalkboard. Make lessons. Administer exams. Walk around desks and say things like "yes, that is good" or "no that 's' is backwards, try again" or "no, you can't cut my hair with your scissors". The only thing I am missing is a pointing stick... with time people, with time.

So instead of assisting in a class Quinn (when she arrives, and by the way she is doing MUCH better and is out of the hospital, praise God!!!) and I will be full fledged teachers. I don't think they realize what they have gotten themselves into making me a teacher.... :) The kids I am working with are a bit older, like 6-8 years old. Some have been to school but most of them have not, which means they are way behind other kids their age. However, most of the children who are attending this nursery school are unable to afford a regular school because there are so many fees associated with it. Therefore the Odoyo's, the family I am staying with, have started this pre-school in order to help these children get an education. Also, they hope to be able to share the life changing love of Christ with them as well as their parents. It is a fantastic ministry and is very well needed in the area. I will be teaching for about 3 weeks and then administering exams the final week of July. The school breaks in August and then will resume in September. They will need two more teachers come September.

Here are some pictures of the kiddo's at Joy Nursery School:

5 comments:

Gina said...

Wow Katie, or should I say, Ms. Holden! How exciting! And so awesome that Quinn is doing better. Such an answer to prayer. It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. Maybe you should think about a career change when you get home. And are you thinking about being one of those teachers that they'll need in September?!

dawnliza said...

Just remember this sentence because you might have to make your students write it fifty times.
"I will not cut the white teacher's hair."
You will do a great job! Be your loving, sweet, and funny self and they'll just love you!
God bless!

kathryn said...

nope, Gina, not thinking of a career change or filling in here in September. I am not creative enough to be a teacher :)!

Anonymous said...

You're definitely gonna need a pointing stick to complete your teacher persona. Oh, and also a vest with embroidered apples on it. Maybe Gina or Dawn have a couple they can send you. What do you say, ladies?

I am so glad to hear that Quinn is better!

I can't wait to hear more about your kids! The pictures are adorable!

Gina said...

Oh and I just got the "Tea-cha Kaa-dee" thing. I thought it was something in Swahilli:-) I'm a little slow!